Sleeping Beauty Night Time ‘Potion’
Sleeping Beauty milk drink includes an Ayurvedic collection of spices, honey and herbal spices all chosen for their properties to relax the body, calm a busy mind, reduce anxiety, strengthen the adrenal system and balance hormones. Mixed with warm milk, which in itself contains tryptophan and melatonin known are to induce sleep. The recipe uses nutmeg (a natural sleep aid) and ashwagandha (an adaptogen that helps the body to deal with stress). The ingredients combine to make a natural ‘sleep potion’ that soothes the soul –and also tastes pretty nice!
- 1 mug of whole milk or unsweetened nut milk (such as almond, hemp, cashew) or oat milk
- Half tsp of ground cinnamon
- Half tsp ground turmeric
- Quarter tsp ground ashwagandha
- 2 pinches of ground cardamom
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of virgin coconut oil, ghee or virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp manuka honey
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat. Whisk in cinnamon, turmeric, ashwagandha and nutmeg, season with black pepper. Whisk vigorously to break down any lumps. Add the coconut oil/or other, reduce heat to low and continue to cook until warmed through, about 5 – 10 minutes, (the longer it warms the stronger the ‘potion’).
- Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly, stir in the honey (don’t heat for long as manuka honeys natural healing properties are easily destroyed by heat).
- Pour into the mug and drink warm, then climb the sleepy stairs to bed zzzzzz