FODMAP friendly Tomato&Red Pepper & Soup
An easy, tasty soup which is also suitable for anyone following a FODMAP diet for IBS. Freezes well. Serves 4
- 240g or 3 medium carrots peeled and diced – (scrub and leave skins on for fibre)
- 240gor 3 medium parsnips peeled and diced – (scrub and leave skin on for fibre)
- 3 large (or more as preferred) Romano red peppers deseeded and sliced.
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1lt gluten free vegetable stock
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 tbsp chopped basil or flat leaf parsley to serve (optional)
- Grated manchego to serve if sheep’s cheese is tolerated, or any hard cheese like gruyere or parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 200C (390F). Place the prepared vegetables on a roasting tray and brush with oil. Season. Roast for 20-25 minutes until golden and soft.
- When roasted, transfer to a large bowl or saucepan and add the chopped tomatoes and stock. Allow to cool before blending in batches. When done, pour back into saucepan to warm when ready to serve.
- Serve with grated cheese as desired and torn basil or snipped flat leaf parsley.
This simple recipe contains a wonderful mix of antioxidant, beta carotene rich vegetables with high levels of lycopene. If the skins are left on the fibre content is much higher and being soluble contribute to healthy gut bacteria and bowel function.
Basil is one of the oldest herbs known to mankind, its healing and healthful properties are known across the world. Their benefits include facilitating good digestion and a remedy for headaches and insomnia. It helps balance acid within the body restoring pH levels. The powerful essential oils in the leaves, including eugenol, citronellol, and linalool helplower inflammation through their enzyme inhibiting properties. Basil contains water-soluble flavonoid antioxidants, known as orientin and vicenin that strengthen the immune system, protect cellular structure, DNA and delay the effects of skin aging. Basil may help prevent fat build up in the liver. The oils may help manage depression and anxiety. So many reasons to add this powerful to more of your meals.