100% Cacau & Fresh Raspberry Cake
Cacau is a ‘superfood’, a natural source of flavanols and antioxidants giving a very intense chocolate ‘hit’ and far healthier than cocoa powder – fresh raspberries are another ‘superfood’ – making this gluten free cake a guilt free pleasure to eat. Enjoy! Serves 8 – 10.
- 40g cacau powder for baking
- 70ml boiling water, added gradually because you might need less
- 200g 85% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 150g butter, softened
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g fine polenta
- 180g brown sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 200g fresh raspberries, reserve half to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease and line the base and sides of a spring form 22cm tin with baking parchment.
- In a small bowl, blend the cacau with water until it is smooth.
- In a medium heat proof bowl, combine the dark chocolate and butter and place over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cacao mixture, gradually adding the almonds, polenta, sugar and egg yolks. Fold in half the raspberries.
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Lightly fold into the chocolate mixture and then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with the remaining raspberries. Dust with icing sugar.
- Serve in wedges with whipped cream and more raspberries as desired.