Wheat Free Lemon & Polenta Cake
A dense, almost fudgy cake with an intensely lemony flavour. Eat it with a splodge of crème fraiche or mascapone, and perhaps some raspberries. This cake freezes well. Serves 8
- 200g softened butter
- 150g soft, light brown sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- Juice of half a lemon
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 110g polenta
- Three quarters of a tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3, and grease and line an 8’’/20cm cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and light, then mix in the almonds. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Scrape the mixture into the cake tin, and bake for 45minutes, until set: stick a skewer in the middle and check it comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin before turning out.